March 28, 2012

A Stray

I'm sooo ready to be done with high school!  These past few weeks have gone by extremely slowly and I"m just ready to move onto the next stage of life.  I realize my blogging skills about my life are rather dry so I'm going to try and work on my life-blogging skillery.  The main focus of this blog, though, will always be the sonnets, so if you'd rather not even bother reading what I have to stay about my weekly doings you can just skip over this first paragraph. I wouldn't be offended in the slightest.  Now, on to the sonnet.

This sonnet is rather self explanatory as to how I came to write it.  Enjoy!



A Stray

A suckling cat appeared upon my porch.
A stray. I ran for fear it was aggrieved.
Her only ailment, though, now I've perceived
That trembling ember in the fading torch
Of those exhausted yellow eyes that scorch
My soul with warmth, a mother's heart bereaved...
Forgotten. Paw for pittance not received,
And she moves on – the Nature of my porch.
With utter ease my hand did slam that door
Because I did not want that cat to stay.
Oh God! Oh please! Protect her I implore!
I watched her haggard form just slip away
Beyond all sight, beyond all time. No more.
Still I leave scraps of food for Her – a stray.


Completion date: 3/17/2012
Unpublished material, ©2012 Neal Digre

No comments:

Post a Comment