December 4, 2013

A Manner of Speaking

I have been super swamped with final projects and studying for finals so I haven't had the time or brain capacity to write a full blog post.  Excuses, excuses, I know, but I feel like a geology lab final mapping project, a computer science planetary gravitation animator program, a Japanese vocabulary quiz, and a Japanese final exam are valid excuses when condensed into a three day period.  It's been a while since I last posted a sonnet, though, so I'll tag in a sonnet I wrote earlier this year.  I'll get my NaNoWriMo debrief out once I'm not up to my ears in schoolwork.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started writing this sonnet over a year ago but only finished it a couple months ago.  That is mainly because of the long periods during which I didn't work on it but also because it just took me that long to get it right.  The original idea I started with over a year ago was to write a sonnet using only idioms.  So here it is:



A Manner of Speaking

Though silver streaks this cloud contains, please hold
Your horses -- specially Charley.  Someone beat
Him for a bucket kicked in moment's heat
And kept his eye for on the rest.  All told,
Should canny cat possess my tongue then cold
My blood will run till thoughts I think on feet.
So hungry for coherent words I'd eat
Your horse and pay with arms and legs I sold
For less than heads and tails.  But Charley brings
A gift of verse; don't look him in the mouth.
Yet still I'm on a limb, no room to swing
The canny cat against the clock.  Should things
From wrong directions rubbed on you go South
I'm leaving you with this: a piece of cake.



How many idioms did you count?  Leave a comment with your answer.  The first one to get it right gets a virtual high five!  Woo!  Once finals are over I'll do my best to get the backlog of posts I say I'm going to post posted.  That's all for now.  Have a great week!  -NLD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liked this post?  Didn't like it?
Leave some feedback and let me know why!  I'm always seeking to improve.
Thanks for reading!

Unpublished material, ©2013 Neal Digre

No comments:

Post a Comment